Reliance Jio is an Indian Telecom company with a user base of 426.2 mn. It is owned by India’s richest Ambani family, which also owns Reliance Industries Limited. It was incorporated in 2007 with an ambition to democratize access to data and voice to Indians. Having cracked voice and data, a core to the telecom operators, Jio is now expanding its presence into other verticals as well.
India is a mobile-first market, where the penetration of digital services and their usage is constantly increasing. In 2016, Jio started building an ecosystem of mini-app which covers streaming, music, and messaging.
Jio’s all-in-one platform
Jio is targeting the lifestyle use cases of Indian customers, where the ‘all-in-one’ platform fits perfectly for the Indian market. MyJio is India’s first and one of the biggest super-app to date, competing with other super-apps like Paytm, PhonePe, Airtel Xstream, and many more.
Making their way towards evolving market!
- In 2016, Jio started to provide free services to its customers in order to increase the customer base
- After the launch, within 83 days, Jio gained 5 mn subscribers and even extended its offer for the next three months (in 2016)
- Today, Jio has 426.2 mn subscribers with the net revenue- 11.8 bn
Some other stats shows that till 2021 Jio has-
- Downloads- 100 mn+
- Global ranking- 5th (topped by WeChat)
- Google rating- 4.2
- Competition- Paytm, TataNeu, Airtel, PhonePe
- Total registered users-426.2 mn
“Entering the ranking for the first time this year and claiming the title of the world’s 5th strongest brand, is Indian telecom giant, Jio, with a BSI score of 91.7 out of 100 and the elite AAA+ brand strength rating,” said Brand Finance.
Here’s what the #Jioeffect looks like-
India has become one of the biggest data-consuming countries in the world!
Jio’s Customers are increasing every year
Jio’s Customer growth in terms of total and active user base as of January 2021 states that
- Total User Base- 369 mn,
- Active users- 4.2 mn,
- Broadband user base, Jio fiber- 4.3 mn
- The number of registered loyal customers in FY20-21 is 156 mn and continues to grow at 25% y-o-y.
- Customer loyalty; Consumption- 16.7 bn GB total data consumption
- Avg. data consumption- 13.3 GB per user
- Data traffic- 62.5 bn GB FY20-21
Jefferies said, “In Q3 & Q4'21, Jio has added 22 million active subscribers and de-recognized 59 million inactive users.”
Jio Revenue growth is in Billions!
The following research shows Jio’s revenue growth from 2019 t0 2021.
- ARPU’21 stood at $1.81 per subscriber per month
MyJio app is a super-app platform, where a customer can avail of all kinds of services in one app. Jio’s 5 key consumptions are- Consumer Electronics, Pharma Retail, Fashion & Lifestyle, Connectivity, and Grocery.
From lifestyle to financial to broadband services, everything is available in one place. Some of its major features include
One-stop destination for all things Jio
Customer Engagement says it all
- In March 2021, customer engagement on the Jio network remained healthy across data and voice services, with video accounting for 70% of data usage.
- Jio led subscriber growth in the country with a gross addition of 99 million.
- As of April 2021, the average wireless data consumption per user per month rose to 13.3 GB from 12.9 GB in Q3’21.
- Average voice consumption climbed to 823 minutes per user per month from 796 minutes.
Jio customer loyalty stands at 87% with 38 NPS which is better than its competitors.
Why High Engagement?
One of the main reasons for high engagement of the super-app could be the rewards, challenges, games, and offers on the app. For example, for every visit, a customer will gain 10 points on the application, which can either be enhanced or be spent in the application by playing games, challenges, and availing some other offers.
- In 2021, Jio announced its partnership with Facebook on transforming the JioMart bot on WhatsApp into a full new e-commerce solution, in order to have a strong retail grocery chain.
- Jio is fostering partnerships with millions of MSMEs like Urban Ladder, Zivame, NetMeds, etc., by integrating their services into the Jio ecosystem.
JioBusiness – Enterprise-grade Bundled Offering
- In 2022, Jio’s Estonia arm and the University of Oulu will collaborate on the development of the 6G era, which will cater to future entrepreneurs. "We are looking forward to collaborating with Jio Estonia and the entire Reliance Group on targeted research initiatives that will enable future wireless end-to-end solutions for a wide range of end-user requirements," University of Oulu's Director of the 6G Flagship Professor Matti Latva-who said in a statement.